Re: Too many PMC implementations

On Thu 23 Aug 2018 at 18:48:32 +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> Probably DTrace is not the final word in BSD and not something I intend
> to defend - but it's a good solution for now - (FreeBSD already
> ports/develops a potential replacement eBPF).

I have played a bit with EBPF on Linux, and it feels weird to use a
"packet filter" bytecode-based thing for performance monitoring.

Don't we already have a bytecode interpreter in the kernel in the form
of Lua? I hardly know anything of Lua, but using that (being an existing
tool) would make somewhat more sense than a glorified packet filter
(which needs a big tool set in the form of clang to compile C to EBPF
bytecode).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.