Re: default boot.cfg, netbsd.old, onetbsd [was: Re: drivers (not?) utilising pcidevs data]

On 02/16/18 11:24, rudolf wrote:
> Patrick Welche wrote:
>> Hijacking mention of /boot.cfg: I accidentally booted a test box
>> which had /netbsd.old but no /netbsd. My recollection is that if
>> /netbsd was bad, /netbsd.old would be tried instead. That didn't
>> appear to happen, and I needed a trip into the server room and a
>> hunt for a monitor etc. (My recollection may predate the existence
>> of /boot.cfg - did something change? The box does have a /boot.cfg
>> as per default.)
>
> The default boot.cfg specifies the kernel name explicitly as
> "netbsd" (https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/etc/etc.amd64/boot.cfg#1) so
> the boot process does not use the alternative names
> (https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/boot/boot2.c#459,
> https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/boot/boot2.c#98).
>
> IMO the default boot.cfg entry should omit the explicit kernel name to
> enable fallback by default.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Fixed in the copy of boot.cfg installed on disk as part of the etc.tgz
set. Haven't changed the config shipped with generated media however.

https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2018/03/02/msg092706.html

Sevan