Re: spkr vs spkr_synth module

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 08:12:03PM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
[...]

We should probably deprecate spkr_pcppi.  After releasing NetBSD-8 we can
uncomment the spkr_synth lines in i386 and amd64 kernels, and add comments
to the spkr_pcppi lines.

I've not followed the thread closely so I may have misunderstood something.
As I understand it, spkr_synth emulates a pcppi interface via an
audio card.
On most of my x86 desktops, I have both a pcppi internal speaker and an audio
card (or even several audio cards), with external speakers.
I want to still use the pcppi speaker for simple beeps, because the
audio card may not be operational (e.g. because I have no speakers connected,
or the speakers are powered off).
pcppi and external audio serves different purposes.

Understood.

Perhaps we might prefer not to deprecate the pcppi version.

My other comments about kernels with both drivers included still stand, however. "It's likely not to work as intended/desired." :-)

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |