Re: spkr vs spkr_synth module

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 08:12:03PM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> [...]
>
> We should probably deprecate spkr_pcppi.  After releasing NetBSD-8 we can
> uncomment the spkr_synth lines in i386 and amd64 kernels, and add comments
> to the spkr_pcppi lines.

I've not followed the thread closely so I may have misunderstood something.
As I understand it, spkr_synth emulates a pcppi interface via an
audio card.
On most of my x86 desktops, I have both a pcppi internal speaker and an audio
card (or even several audio cards), with external speakers.
I want to still use the pcppi speaker for simple beeps, because the
audio card may not be operational (e.g. because I have no speakers connected,
or the speakers are powered off).
pcppi and external audio serves different purposes.