RE: In-kernel process exit hooks?

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016, Terry Moore wrote:

You may well be right. From looking at the man page, fd_getfile() assumes the
the file is already open. Is there an additional spec_write() after the
fd_getfile()? I don't see it in you patch.

spec_write() is called via the dereferencing at the end of filemon_output() ...

In any case, I was using writabality as an example. It's really fragile to
depend on grabbing a file handle and assuming it's what you had before. The
security analysis of that is essentially open-ended -- and has to be revisited
every time the behavior of files as seen by fd_getfile() changes [therefore is
an eternal burden], whereas the analysis of adding an additional exit hook is
trivial, and as far as I can see, never has to be revisited.

Point taken. In this case, write access is checked on each call, so that's not a problem. But without holding the fd_getfile() reference, the application program is indeed frre to switch things out from under us. I've attempted to minimize that by comparing the pointers to the 'struct file' but it doesn't guarantee that things have not changed.

One more reason for us to retain the extra reference as originally written, and then modify exithooks as previously proposed to clean things up in the correct order.

I understand everyone wanting to be conservative about not adding new
facilities to the kernel, but sometimes a new facility actually saves a lot of
effort overall.

You're doing the work, so having made my point, I'll let you make your
decision.

--Terry