From: tech-kern-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost [mailto:tech-kern-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost] On
Behalf Of Paul Goyette
Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 16:55
To: Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost>
Cc: tech-kern%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: In-kernel process exit hooks?

Another possibility would be to change filemon(4) to do fd_getfile
each it needs to use the file descriptor.  This makes it a little
more brittle (fails if you close the descriptor), but would sidestep
the problem.

Hmmm, perhaps.  Failure would not be a problem, since we would just
revert to the initial "output file unspecified" conditions.

I think I like this approach.  :)  I'll give it a try.

This actually works quite well.  Please see the attached diffs for your
review.

One possible problem is what happens if the monitoring program closes
the file descriptor, and then re-uses that fd?  I've included a check to
compare the original 'struct file *' pointer with the current one, which
will catch "some" instances, but not guaranteed to catch them all.  It
could be a bit of a surprise if filemon output shows up in unexpected
places.  :)

Because of this potential for surprising the user, I think I'm still
leaning to my earlier proposal of extending exithook processing.  But
given the limited number of use-cases for filemon, I could live with
making the fd_getfile()-only-when-you-need-it change instead.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |