Re: Dropping support for old binaries

  Hello,

Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> writes:

> 	hello.  There is a proposal around  to drop support for old NetBSD
> binaries in current ersions of NetBSD.  For example, nuking COMPAT_NOMID,
> COMPAT_10, COMPAT_12, COMPAT_13 COMPAT_14, etc. from the the -current
> source tree.  I'll let the original poster post his reasons for this
> proposal on this list, but here's my response to that proposal:

I suggest that you don't misrepresent the original proposal.
The original proposal was about dropping the support from GENERIC,
that is not exposing rotten code to potential attackers.

Those who want to continue running old code can always either load a module
or build custom kernel. This is actually good since this could somewhat
improve the image of NetBSD in some information security circles.

--
HE CE3OH...