Re: Dropping support for old binaries

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 01:17:54AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	I'm done ranting, but I truly hope we don't decide that maintaining
> backward compatibility is not a priority.  Such a decision would be a very
> sad one for me indeed!

Strongly seconded.

I can live with (say) sysctl bits disabling these compats by default (if
that can be implemented cheaply w/o slowing down non-compat code paths).

I also like the fact that the compat code can be easily removed by disabling
config options for local kernel builds.

But disabling these options by default (so requiring a reboot with a changed
kernel when you need them) is inaccaptable IMHO. You always need them urgently
and unplanned, and they should just be available in default installs.

Martin