Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

On Mar 14,  2:28am, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage

| christos@ wrote:
|
| > On Mar 13,  3:30am, tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost (Izumi Tsutsui) wrote:
| > -- Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/common/bootimage
| >
| > | christos@ wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | BTW no one takes PR install/47774 (and the following thread) even after 6.0.
| > | http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes-d/2012/09/thread1.html#005236
| >
| > Well, do we have a consensus on how do we want to do this?
|
| No particular comment implies no consensus?
|
| > 1. make mount_ptyfs mandatory and run it via mi code (where?)
| > 2. mount ptyfs in sysinst using c code, and remove all the MD hacks.
|
| 3. fallback to mount ptyfs via direct mount(2) in sysinst only when
|    openpty(3) fails, so that poor Tier II ports still use old way
|    without file-system PTYFS and we don't have to touch a number of
|    crunch lists to add mount_ptyfs(8). That's what my PR/47774 intended.

I was trying to avoid carrying over the old pty code around forever,
and having all the ports doing it in a unified way. I guess it does
not matter too much for the installer, but it does add complexity...
I think if you remove COMPAT_BSDTTY and just have PTYFS the code is
only a few K larger.

christos