Re: Removal of compat-FreeBSD

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Maxime Villard <max%M00nBSD.net@localhost> writes:
>
> > Apparently, compat-FreeBSD is needed by tw_cli users.
> >
> > Therefore I think I will just disable it by default in the GENERIC kernels,
> > unless anyone disagrees.
>
> Our norms for significant changes are more or less about consensus or
> preponderance of opinion.  So far you've said that you want to
> remove/disable this, and a number of people have said they use it.  No
> one else has spoke up in favor of disabling.  We don't have evidence
> that anyone (besides you) is disabling this in their kernels.
>
> So I think the opinions to date fall well short of enough to support
> even disabling by default.

I find this offer to solve problems with FreeBSD-compat nerver-wracking.
I would prefer to see solving it this way:
- add FreeBSD-compat to the list of projects at the NetBSD website,
- notify users and developers that FreeBSD-compat layer suffers from
serious issues and is not usable and unmaintained,
- notify that FreeBSD-compat development will be tracked for 3-6 months
and if there nothing will considerably improve, it will be disabled and
pushed to the queue of code-parts to be removed.

With this approach of (somehow) sustainable development developers and
users, those who care could plan their time of next projects for NetBSD
 without alarm to throw all their current works and put all hands on
this or that.

Personally, I can't start hacking on the FreeBSD-compat immediately, as
there is a set of 5 patches waiting for peer-review and acceptance/
rejection from a NetBSD developer. Then it's a matter of days to submit
next patches in the same field (some are already developed) and switch
to usual projects.