Re: Removal of compat-FreeBSD

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:05:00PM +0100, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 13/02/2015 15:26, Greg Troxel a écrit :
> >
> > Maxime Villard <max%M00nBSD.net@localhost> writes:
> >
> >> Apparently, compat-FreeBSD is needed by tw_cli users.
> >>
> >> Therefore I think I will just disable it by default in the GENERIC kernels,
> >> unless anyone disagrees.
> >
> > Our norms for significant changes are more or less about consensus or
> > preponderance of opinion.  So far you've said that you want to
> > remove/disable this, and a number of people have said they use it.  No
> > one else has spoke up in favor of disabling.
>
> Perhaps because I am the only one who read the code?

You said FreeBSD binaries crash.  Obviously the one that is of interest
for COMPAT_FREEBSD users doesn't, so in a way, who cares about the rest?

Now, if there are security issues for the kernel, you'd definitely have
a case.  And there might very well be, but from your initial post it was
more about the receiving end of COMPAT_FREEBSD.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost