Re: Making dhcpcd work on diskless clients

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 21:47:17 +0100, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
wrote:

> This did not work well: midway through the dhcpcd startup, NFS started
> erroring out with EHOSTUNREACH.

I posted about the same thing not too long ago:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2014/12/13/msg026297.html

My observation has been this only affects non-x86 diskless clients.  If
the diskless client is sparc{,64}, macppc, evbmips-mips64el (all I've
tried lately), then I observe the same failure as reported here

If the diskless client is i386 or amd64, configuration via 'dhcpcd'
during startup works just fine.

In my case, I use the "dhcp" keywork in the client's "/etc/ifconfig.if"
file, so a similar hack will be needed in the 'network' rc script since
it invokes 'dhcpcd' directly.

Until somehow all of 'dhcpcd' can be made resident before it starts
twiddling with the interface/routes/etc. without resorting to such
subterfuge.