Re: disk driver interface

jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost (John Nemeth) writes:

>     Before we go adding ioctl entities all over the place, we
>should probably find out what other OSes are doing.  We've already
>added a couple from FreeBSD.  The question is, what else is out
>there that may satisfy our needs?

So far, there is hardly anything that needs more than the two abstract
disk geometry values, i.e. sector size and media size. And for this
I'd suggest to provide some helper function in libutil. If other
code should support NetBSD, it should be done by simple interfaces,
similar to what getifaddrs() did to all the incompatible and broken
network ioctls.

Anything else is mostly faked nowadays and the proplib interface is
the only that can be easily extended to provide more arcane values
when necessary (e.g. RPM).

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost