Re: pserialize & hw interrupt

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:41:05AM +0900, Ryota Ozaki wrote:

>> > It may be poorly suited to virtualized platforms.
>>
>> Okay, I'll try it on a physical machine.
>>
>> BTW, could you tell me how increasing HZ affects vioif and softint?
>
> It should decrease the upper bound on latency to run the softint.  As I
> understand the "fast softint" stuff though, it probably does not decrease
> the lower bound.
>
> How many streams of network traffic are you using in your forwarding test,
> and are they TCP or UDP?  In my experience extreme latency sensitivity of
> forwarding throughput numbers is generally a feature of single-stream TCP
> tests.

One or two (bidirectional) stream(s) of TCP.

> It can also indicate that you are not finishing all pending work
> each time the softint runs, which would be a bug in my opinion (device
> driver softints should dequeue and handle _all_ pending work for the device
> except in unusual cases) though one that probably only impacts performance,
> not correctness.

The RX handler of if_vioif tries to consume available packets that can be
got by virtio_dequeue.

> For what it's worth, I know it's possible to get excellent forwarding
> performance from pure-polled network device drivers (I converted several
> NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers to this mode of operation at a former employer)
> but that does require a high value of HZ.

Yes. I guess there is (was?) a plan to do so in the NetBSD community though,
now nobody is working on that AFAIK. After MP-safe work, nobody is still
working on that, I'll do it.

> It used to be the case that some values of HZ were more efficient than
> others because there was a lookup table to avoid division in some critical
> code -- I believe it was powers-of-2 plus special cases for 60 and 100 -- but
> I can't seem to find that code any more.

Hmm, I see. Thanks.

  ozaki-r