Re: Why do we need lua in-tree again? Yet another call for actual evidence, please. (was Re: Moving Lua source codes)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013, Marc Balmer wrote:
And now to give you a practical example what I personally do with lua(4)
right now:  In the past I wrote several tty line disciplines to decode
various serial formats.  Now I have a need for that again.  Doing this
in C is of course possible, but I want something more dynamic.  So I
wrote a tty line discipline that uses Lua to do all the decoding.  That
works like a charm:  Load the script, test, change the script and
reload.  Really practical.  I will release this code once I sorted out a
few remaining details.  And in the course of this work, I also found
deficencies in slattach(8).

In previous work I used Lua to create a software gpio device, a modified
version of gpiosim(4) that uses a Lua script to "mimick" a real device.
Also handy.

Thank you.  Those seem like useful example.

--apb (Alan Barrett)