Re: Why do we need lua in-tree again? Yet another call for actual evidence, please. (was Re: Moving Lua source codes)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Lourival Vieira Neto wrote:
I have to point out that "interesting work" is commonly used as a sort of euphemism to refer to highly experimental work with unclear future.

Yes. But I'm talking about "interesting *user* work". I'm not claiming that they should be in the kernel. I'm just saying that, IMHO, we should incorporate a small device driver that facilitates this kind of development (outside the tree).

You seem to want the lua "device driver" to be inside the tree, to facilitate experimental work outside the tree. Other people have asked why the lua(4) device driver itself can't be developed outside the tree (with a view to importing it later, if it ever proves to be more than an experiment), and I have seen no good answer to that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)