Re: Snapshots in tmpfs

On Feb 22, 2012, at 1:52 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Note that we already have file system snapshots for ffs file systems,
> see fss(4). They are used for backup purposes (atomically create a snapshot,
> while the file system is busy, then backup the now quiet snapshot) - among
> others.

Right -- and as persistent (across unmount) snapshots of a tmpfs file system
don't make any sense file system external snapshots where the way to go.

All that is needed here is the is the ability of tmpfs to suspend its
operations (see fstrans(9) and msdosfs for example).

Not sure if it is worth the effort though ...

--
Juergen Hannken-Illjes - hannken%eis.cs.tu-bs.de@localhost - TU Braunschweig
(Germany)