Re: Snapshots in tmpfs

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 01:42:45PM +0100, Manuel Wiesinger wrote:
> *)
> What is it good for? The only practical use I can imagine are
> backups on thin clients, which operate without a hard disk. But this
> is clearly far-fetched, in my eyes.

It's good for writing checkpoints of a tmpfs to non-volatile (NV)
storage in an embedded system where writing to the NV storage is costly
(it wears out, or it is slow, or both).  When you have a snapshot, you
can stream it to NV storage using pax(1).  This is the best practical
way that I can think of in NetBSD at this time.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981