Re: buffer cache & ufs changes (preliminary ffsv2 extattr support)

>> And I think the master tree for a (supposedly-)production OS is not
>> the place to be carrying out research experiments, not even if
>> another such OS is already doing it.

> The trouble, of course, is that there isn't really any such thing
> these days as a research platform OS useful for such experiments.

I think NetBSD actually would be a fine platform for it.

Just not in the main tree.

I'd suggest just having two long-running branches, an experimental
system and a production system, with things pulled back and forth as
appropriate, but I think that probably needs a switch away from CVS as
a prerequisite, and we all know where _that_ can of worms leads.  I've
got a pile of things that could go into the experimental tree myself.
(They're mostly in production use on my personal machines, but that
hardly qualifies as anything more than successful alpha test.)

Also, maintaining NetBSD-experimental and NetBSD-production doubles
certain overhead loads and increases (but not to 2x) others, thus
further (putatively) draining already-scarce resources....

\ / Ribbon Campaign