Re: RFC: import of posix_spawn GSoC results

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 09:19:48AM +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> vfork based implementation has its advantages.  eg. less kernel code
>
> i'm not sure what kind of "dirty libpthread changes".
> can you explain?

We would need to guarantee thread safeness of posix_spawn() - but vfork
itself is not. So either we would need to change the kernel vfork() to
be thread safe (I guess I could do that, but it would be an intrusive
mess), or deal with it inside libpthread somehow (I have no idea -
enumerate all threads and stop them?).

But worst: I don't see how we could possibly gain the main benefit of
the interface (vfork like performance even for multithreaded apps) any
way if we go this route.

Martin