Re: RFC: import of posix_spawn GSoC results

On 2011-12-19 23.02, Mouse wrote:
What's clean about importing the VMS process model to Unix?

That's hardly the VMS process model - or at least it wasn't back in the
'80s when I used VMS.  In particular, in the VMS paradigm, the CLI (as
close as VMS gets to the shell) and the program being run run in the
same process.

Well, the process model as such will not change just because another system call is introduced in Unix.
Also, the CLI is not really related to the process model either.

However, yes, this system call looks like it comes very close to how tasks are run under VMS. Even down to the name.

I won't go into the pros and cons of different ways of starting a new process to run something. That was debated to death already in the 80s.

        Johnny