Re: Lost file-system story

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:10:32PM -0800, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:23:33 -0500, Donald Allen
> <donaldcallen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Lost file-system story
> >
> > How can you possibly say such a thing and hope to be taken seriously?
> > What you just said means that P(survival) = .999 is the same as
> > P(survival) = 0.
> >
> > There are a LOT of situations (e.g., mine) where P(survival) = .999
> > would be very acceptable and P(survival) = 0 would not.
>
> The manual page must not give probabilities or even speak of
> possiblities.

Oh really, Greg?  I suppose you can believe that if you want to, while the
rest of us can continue to live in the real world where knowing things like
that is actually useful.

> recourse but to wallow in your own sorrows.  I.e. you can't come to the
> mailing list and say that you expected something better just because you
> say you can get something better from something else entirely different.
> You have false expectations based on your experiences with entirely
> foreign environments.

Donald, don't listen to Greg.  Just in case it needs to be repeated, you're
not the only one that thinks it is reasonable to expect a non-0 probability
that things will be recovereable, even if something goes wrong.

eric