Re: language bindings (fs-independent quotas)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:50:06AM -0600, David Young wrote:
 > I don't think it matters whether it is simple and straightforward to
 > create a language binding or not.
 >
 > The advantage to using some standard format for quotas, be it
 > tab-delimited tables or plists, is that if you know the standard tools
 > for that format, you can whip up scripts that process it in useful ways.
 > No language bindings necessary.

The proposed standard format for quotas is an ordinary columnar text
file. The reason language bindings came up is that Manuel was
complaining, somewhat oddly, that it's hard to handle these in Perl.

And actually, language bindings are probably a good thing anyway; if
you have an installation with 50,000 users and you want to frob their
quotas from a Perl script, forking 50,000 edquota processes is
probably not the best approach.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost