Re: autoclean mode for tmpfs

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 08:48:05AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
 > > > And what is auto-erasing files good for in the first place?  I don't get
 > > > the point, for me it's calling for trouble.
 > >
 > > Traditionally, it's so /tmp doesn't grow without bound, which once
 > > upon a time was a problem with small root partitions or ramdisks.
 >
 > What processes leave data in /tmp? perhaps they should be fixed instead,
 > to clean up after themselves..
 >
 > I actively use /tmp as a work area so I notice when it builds up,

Manual ones, often :-)

On a multiuser machine you can get quite a lot of crap in /tmp after a
few months' uptime. One also doesn't necessarily want to clean it by
hand either, in case of seeing something one really didn't want to.

Anyway, since the general opinion on this seems to be negative, let's
forget about it; it was just a random idea.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost