Re: autoclean mode for tmpfs

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, David Holland wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 06:29:01PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:
>  > And what is auto-erasing files good for in the first place?  I don't get
>  > the point, for me it's calling for trouble.
>
> Traditionally, it's so /tmp doesn't grow without bound, which once
> upon a time was a problem with small root partitions or ramdisks.

What processes leave data in /tmp? perhaps they should be fixed instead,
to clean up after themselves..

I actively use /tmp as a work area so I notice when it builds up, but I
guess using things like magic symlinks to provide a per-user tmp storage
(or however that works :) can hide the real size of /tmp in multi-user
systems.

The biggest offender I see is that build.sh sometimes leaves /tmp/config.*
directories around which I clean out, but not sure if thats only when it
is interrupted or fails..

iain