Re: add DIAGNOSTIC back to GENERIC/INSTALL

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 04:30:18PM +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
> > - Since performance is degraded and -current users concerned about it
> >   will need to compile their own kernels anyway - I believe LOCKDEBUG
> >   should be enabled as well.  Perhaps LOCKDEBUG should become a part
> >   of DEBUG - it is at least clearly a "heavier check". :)

Well, a DEBUG kernel is usable (and, IIRC a DIAGNOSTIC+LOCKDEBUG kernel
as well), but a DEBUG+LOCKDEBUG kernel is absolutely unusable for anything
besides debugging.

A simple solution (but with a gotcha): have releng builds both produce
GENERIC and GENERIC-DEBUG (or whatever you call it), then run automatic
test runs on both and compare.

Encourage users to run the -DEBUG version on test machines, but point to
GENERIC for performance critical things.

Martin