Re: extended attributes

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 01:33:46PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I don't love having an option for this.  Is there a space or performance
> issue with making it (or extended attribute support in general!) the
> default?

I potential problem: extended attribute autostart on the root filesystem
with a corrupted filesystem easily leads to a panic at mount time. This
cannot be recovered through single user mode. I suggest that if we make
extended attribute the default, we disabled autostart in single user
mode. Alternatively, we can always disable autostart on the root, and have
a rc.d script enabling it later during the boot (after fsck).

Opinions?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost