Re: sys/dev/isa/fd.c FDUNIT/FDTYPE

On Sep 25,  3:36pm, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
}
} > } The topic is how to add 8th type and currently fd.c uses hardcoded '8'.
} >
} >      Actually, the topic is asking what the purpose of FDUNIT and
} > FDTYPE is.  That question has been answered.
}
} The original question is:
}
} http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-kern/2011/05/03/msg010454.html

     Yes, it is asking for clarification of FDUNIT and FDTYPE.

} >> sys/dev/isa/fd.c defines FDUNIT and FDTYPE as DIV/MOD 8.
} >> etc/MAKEDEV uses makedisk_p16 for fd*.
} >>
} >> Who's right?
} >> As I'm just adding a ninth (ten-sector) fd_type, I prefer the 16 version.
}
} I said changing DEV/MOD number in fd.c required all users to update
} existing fd device nodes under /dev.
} (note i386 uses makedisk_p16high that handles OLDMAXPARTITIONS)

     Which is clearly very wrong.

} > } If we can simply change it to 16, why did we introduce complicated
} > } __HAVE_OLD_DISKLABEL for harddisks?
} >
} >      Again, disklabels have nothing to do with floppies, or conversely,
} > the letter part of the "floppy unit" has nothing to do with partitions.
}
} FDUNIT and FDTYPE are calculated from device minor using the
} hardcoded DEV/MOD number, as MI DISKUNIT and DISKPART for harddrives.
} __HAVE_OLD_DISKLABEL was introduced to add magics in MD DISKUINT()
} and DISKPART() macro to avoid renumbering existing old device minors
} on MAXPARTITION bump.
} Current MI MAKEDEV.tmpl treats floppy device minors as harddrives.

     Again, I don't see your point.  You're talking about a major bug
in MAKEDEV where it treats floppy drives the same as hard drives.  They
aren't the same and the letters in the "unit number" don't have the
same meaning.

} If someone[TM] will maintain MAKEDEV scripts and
} write doc/UPDATING properly, no problem for me.

     This is the only correct solution.  I might consider working on
it, but my developement system is down with a bad hard drive at the
moment.  Getting it running again is a somewhat higher priority.

}-- End of excerpt from Izumi Tsutsui