Re: XIP (Rev. 2)

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 07:28:34PM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> >
> > > I'll merge this in a few days.  I believe I've given enough reasonings
> > > to back this design in various places.
> >
> > do not do this.
> >
> > this code has currently seen review that was less than favourable
> > and you have not given much consideration to the flaws.  unless
>
> What are the flaws?

There are two issues I see with the design and I don't understand how
they are addressed:

1) On machines where the cache is responsible for handling ECC, how do you
prevent a user from trying to mount a device XIP, causing a data error and
a system crash?

2) How will this work with mfs and memory disks where you really want to
use XIP always but the pages are standard, managed RAM?

Eduardo