Re: O_DIRECTORY

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 02:01:43PM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> the remaining missing bit that prevents acroread from working with the new
> linux emulation code (PR 43695) is support for the O_DIRECTORY flag to open().
> I was going to add this just in the linux emulation code but I noticed
> that it's actually standardized in POSIX-2008 [1], and freebsd supports it
> natively as well.  so now I'm thinking to add it to the native open() too.
> there's a diff at:
>
>       ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/chs/diff.linux-odir.1
>

> any objections to adding this?

I like the flag. I would change the wording a bit to say "require the
file to be a directory" (positive sense).

Thinking one step further -- would it make sense to have another flag to
disallow devices? This would be useful for programs running with root
privileges to avoid the stat race for opening path names with potential
side effects.

Joerg