Re: multiprocessor routing problem

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 11:12:33AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 09:31:21AM +0200, pif.paf.puf%volny.cz@localhost
> wrote:
> >
> > when I killed all routing daemons and write all routes as static,
> > problem continue.
>
> No surprise there.  Only one processor at a time can run in the NetBSD
> network stack -- for now.

We do have one completely multithreaded protocol - Unix IPC.  TCP/IP
is of course single-threaded.

If your processors have other work do do, like working on received data
streams it can work very well as is.  Consider a machine acting as a
database server, or doing audio/video processing.  If all you're doing
is routing packets, the system won't really take advantage of additional
processors.