Re: Potential re(4) / netbsd-4 / i386 problem?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 08:23:39AM +0200, Brad du Plessis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been seeing panics on a netbsd-4/i386 machine which appears to
> be related to the reception of oversized frames:
>
> re0: discarding oversize frame (len=8813)
> re0: discarding oversize frame (len=2191)
> re0: discarding oversize frame (len=10478)

A few questions come to mind as I read re_rxeof():

Does the hardware always respect the buffer length that NetBSD writes to
the Rx descriptors?  Buffer-overrun bugs do happen, even in hardware.

How many fragments do the oversize frames come in?

The driver seems to expect that !RE_RDESC_STAT_EOF is mutually exclusive
with RE_RDESC_STAT_RXERRSUM.  Maybe that is not really so?

Dave