Re: clearing bogus journal

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 09:44:36PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > Sure. My question was more about already -c4 filesystem, with an
> > active but corrupted journal. I think fsck should be able to detect and
> > bring the filesystem back in a mountable state.
>
> Does it happen on plain -c4 filesystem created by
> newfs(8)? (not converted by fsck_ffs -c4)

No, I didn't notice it

> "unrecognized wapbl type" problem could happen as noted PR kern/39924,
> and in that case we should fix kernel to allow mount such fs readonly.
> (fsck_ffs(8) can fix it)

How ? In my case fsck_ffs (from 5.0.1) didn't fix anything. This is
what motivated my email.

> If "unknown journal type" error could also happen after crash,

I can't see why severe filesystem corruption coudln't cause it.

> it's better to provide some tools to fix it, but I have a feeling
> that such feature should be enabled by some explicit option.
> (I'm not sure if we will add other journal types in future though)

My idea was to have fsck_ffs check for it and abort the boot (just as
other severe problems noted by fsck_ffs -p). It's better to abort the boot
than let it continue with the filesystems not mounted properly.