Re: Implement mode_select for atapi tape drives - round 4

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

Using structures to map hardware structures implicitly assumes knowledge
of the way compilers lay out structures - which may, or may not, be
guaranteed by the C standard.

in such a case I don't think we can allow the compiler to decide how to
lay out the structure.

Yes, that's true.

In this case, everything is defined as some number of uint8_t's any way, so setting __packed should not introduce any new inefficiency in access.

Or am I missing something more fundamental?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |