Re: several evbarm kernels broken in current. know the issue. don't know how best to fix it.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 09:39:03PM -0700, Martin Fouts wrote:
> I'm getting ready to port NetBSD to another ARM device (personal, not for my
> employer,) and I tried to make a release in current in preparation. This did
> not go so well, as there's build breakage in may of the evbarm kernels.  In
> outline, the problem is that sys/device.h includes some other include file
> that starts an include chain that ends up with an include file that uses
> things defined later in sys/device.h.  The clearest example is:

I've noticed this as well; however, the only blatant build breakage
I've managed to find only seems to occur in a couple of the kernels
- specifically, the INTEGRATOR kernel, which has
ARM_INTR_IMPL="<arch/evbarm/ifpga/ifpga_intr.h>" in its std.* file.

One way of fixing this - although I don't know how optimal it would be -
would be to de-inline all the spl macro stuff that's currently defined
in that header file. (Not being an arm expert, I don't know if there's
a better way of doing this; however, the ifpga_set_intrmask requires
having the ifpga_softc structure which is the cause of this mess in the
first place.) If there are other kernels which exhibit this same problem,
I expect doing the same thing would work as well.

I suppose that raises the question "How useful is inline these days,
anyhow?"