re: the __ namespace in the kernel

   >__ symbols:
   >__byte_swap_u16_variable
   >__byte_swap_u32_variable

this seems MD and can probably be renamed without issue.  only
some platforms seem to define them.

   >__cpu_simple_lock
   >__cpu_simple_lock_init
   >__cpu_simple_lock_try
   >__cpu_simple_unlock

these ones probably need to be special cased.

   >__kernassert
   >__secmodel_none
   >__sigtimedwait1

these seem to be subsystem specific and should get real subsystem
prefixes.

   >__wdccommand_done
   >__wdccommand_done_end
   >__wdccommand_intr
   >__wdccommand_kill_xfer
   >__wdccommand_start
   >__wdcerror
   >__wdcwait
   >__wdcwait_reset
   >__wdstart

these seem all wdc driver private, i don't see why they can't
just all be renamed.

   I think these are very few, so I am fine to remove one underscore.

beyond __cpu_simple*(), i don't see any good reason for any
of them to have any leading underscores.

.mrg.