Re: der Mouse [Re: Path to kmods]

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:32:46 -0500
Rich Kulawiec <rsk%gsp.org@localhost> wrote:

> It's often difficult for people who are very emotionally attached
> to their work to grasp how the most valuable contributions to their
> efforts are likely to come from not from their most ardent supporters,
> but from their most well-informed critics.  (And der Mouse, who has
> been working in this field far longer than many (most?) of those who
> imagine themselves "senior", is certainly well-informed...as in,
> "has likely forgotten more about Unix that most others will ever
> know.")
>
> He also, as I've found when my own work has come under his scrutiny,
> is not inclined to pull his punches.  This is a feature, not a bug.
>
> So while I'm sure it's tempting to try to impose groupthink and thus
> remove what some of you consider an annoyance, I think you'd be much
> better served -- in the long run -- by checking your ego(s) at the
> door and listening.  Doubly so when you disagree.

I agree.  If nothing else, countervailing forces are generally good
things.  They'll often keep you from wandering (too far) into the
woods.

Now -- this can go wrong.  You can end up with design by committee
instead of trimmed down by committee.  But it's always wise to listen
to other voices.  I don't always agree with der Mouse -- in this case,
I do disagree because I see this is an add-on that does no more "to" the
base system than add some necessary interfaces -- but his perspective
is generally worth considering.