Re: Naming of directory from which to load kernel modules

David Brownlee wrote:

>       (Thread on renaming directory from which to load kernels
>       modules from /stand to /kernel switched from source-changes
>       to tech-kern - please drop source-changes from any reply)
>
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Adam Hoka wrote:
>
> > I dont really think the name matters too much, just
> > make it to be able to use different module dir for
> > different kernels.
> > Like if you boot netbsd.old make it use modules/netbsd.old/,
> > so no symlink magic is required.
>
>       I suspect what may be needed is a searchpath for modules, based
>       on at least the kernel version and potentially the kernel name,
>       eg, booting a /onetbsd of version 5.99.4 would look in
>                  /${kernel}/modules-onetbsd-5.99.4
>                  /${kernel}/modules-onetbsd
>                  /${kernel}/modules-5.99.4
>                  /${kernel}/modules

That sounds pretty good.

>          The first matching path found would be used for all modules - no
>          'mix and match' from different directories
>
>          Replace ${kernel} with top-level-directory-of-choice, which
>          may or may not be /kernel
>
>       Some people prefer /kmods, some /kernel, some /stand, and there
>       are probably other preferences.

I dont care if its name /monkey, it wont change anything, just make it work
good. :)

>       One question - would people anticipate some users keeping the
>       kernels in this directory as well? so you could boot
>       /kernel/onetbsd ?

It would be a great win if one could boot with only /${kernel}/ present.
To be able to use LVM and ZFS or whatever volume management we can use.

--
When in doubt, use brute force.

Adam Hoka <ahoka%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Adam Hoka <ahoka%MirBSD.de@localhost>