Re: kinfo_proc * 2

ttw+bsd%cobbled.net@localhost wrote:

> On 12.01-12:48, matthew green wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >    >> The old one (kinfo_proc) is kept for compatibility. I don't think that
> >    >> it is used anymore.
> >    >
> >    >thanks, do you know if there is there is a process for expiring it is
> >    >it expected to just remain indefinately or is it for compatibility
> >    >with a specific older target that will remain?
> >
> >    We need to look first if it is used anymore. Then the standard
> > deprecation
> >    is to move it to compat/sys... We really don't remove things for binary
> >    compatibility but maybe we should :-)
> >
> > yeah - we should move it to compat dir.
>
> whilst renaming it 'kinfo_proc_compat31' (or something) and subsequently
> renaming 'kinfo_proc2' to 'kinfo_proc'.

I'm not sure this is worth the effort.  kinfo_proc2 is used in exposed
APIs and thus any existing users of things like kvm_getprocs(3) would
all need to be changed.  Internal NetBSD code obviously isn't a problem,
but as it's been a (long) published interface there may well be third
party code that uses these as well.

Cheers,
Simon.