Re: Include spdmem(4) in GENERIC amd64 & i386 kernels?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:30:08AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
I've had a couple people suggest that maybe we ought to include the
spdmem(4) in GENERIC kernels, at least for amd64 and i386.  (It's
already included in macppc, IIRC.)

We had some issues in the past with iic autoconfig. Any chance this
breaks systems here?

Well, I don't think we ever tried autoconfig - there's some DEBUG code sitting in the i2c driver right now that attempts to scan the bus and reports which addresses respond, but there's no attempt to figure out what device type is responding. One still needs to configure explicit i2c addresses.

I guess there's always a chance for problems to occur, if you have some other conflicting device(s) sitting on the reserved i2c addresses. I don't really have any way to test this. Perhaps someone who has a box which doesn't like the i2c_scan code can try it?

Bubbling things to the top of my stack....

Does anyone have any objections to adding spdmem(4) to GENERIC kernels on i386 and amd64?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |