Re: porting ZFS

On 18 Sep 2008, at 2:14, Neel Sheyal wrote:
I must admit that I am not a pundit of ZFS. So, I cannot compare
intelligently  ZFS with Hammer. But if someone as  experienced like
Matthew labeled it "hard", then it might be worth revisiting the
effort. There might be valid reasons for it.

Matthew Dillon has always written write-only code. I'm not surprised
that he finds it hard to read somebody else's code because he hasn't
ready any code for a long time. ;-)

But seriously:
A lot of very good engineers at Sun Microsystems worked on ZFS.
The result is not perfect but has proved to be very useful for
a lot of applications. Based on that I would definitely prefer
ZFS over Hammer.

But NetBSD is an open source project and nobody will object to
a port of ZFS/Hammer because Hammer/ZFS is already in the tree.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/