Re: porting ZFS

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 23:52:11 Neel Sheyal wrote:

>       I would like to port ZFS to NetBSD. While I noticed that
> [...]Do you folks think this is something the community will be
> interested

Wow, that would be really great and I'm absolutely sure that the NetBSD
community will appreciate your work! As a matter of principle, one goal shall
be to complete unfinished projects.

> Personally I feel ZFS is something that NetBSD should have in it's
> armor.

Personally, I'm not really sure if ZFS is appropriate as a general-purpose file
system for NetBSD, as it is a complex and very hardware-demanding beast. And
porting seems to be hard - at least Matthew Dillon found it easier and faster
to code a new state-of-the-art (and well-portable!!) BSD file system instead of
porting and improving ZFS:

     http://apollo.backplane.com/DFlyMisc/hammer01.pdf

And I don't know if there is a need  for another port of ZFS as users can
already choose between OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, Linux-based systems and Mac OS X
if they want ZFS.

Best regards, Mark Weinem