Re: porting ZFS

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 05:52:11PM -0400, Neel Sheyal wrote:

>       I would like to port ZFS to NetBSD. While I noticed that
> something along this line was initially started as part of a GSoC
> project, I have really no idea on what it's status is.

I believe that creating a pool worked which is about all that could be
done in the SoC timeframe.  The code should be available on
sourceforge, you should avail yourself of it.

> Do you folks think this is something the community will be interested in ?

Yes.

> Personally I feel ZFS is something that NetBSD should have in it's
> armor. And may be we can even make it better since we have a modular
> uvm structure in place.

Just for the mere fact of having a file system that is able to handle
mulit-terabyte volumes it would be good.  Given the size of disks
available today it is not hard for the average person to possess that
much storage.

> Please let me know and based on the responses I may be able to start
> off from this week !

I hope you are ready for a very big and long project.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: