Re: Removing softdep

Andrew a écrit :

As I already mentioned once, regular ffs doesn't maintain referential
integrity. Block pointers are written synchronously; the data they
point to isn't. After a crash, those block pointers point to whatever
random trash was already on the disk. This results in silent file
corruption, and also sometimes disclosure of sensitive information.
Once again thanks for the tip, but that's common knoweldge.

That might be stupid (in fact I guess it is, because I have no special knowledge therein), but then why not fork the code of ffs, create a kind of "slow fs" which would implement synchronous writes of both block and data (and maybe also a write-through mechanism)? It would certainly break down performance, but increase reliability.

Vincent