RE: PCIVERBOSE and kern/38579

On 04-May-2008 Andrew Doran wrote:
> pci_subr.o is now quite large. I think it's time to retire PCIVERBOSE and
> give the job of identification to pcictl, in userspace. It could do with a
> way to operate on all busses at once but otherwise, it seems to do the job
> already.

Please no.  I make frequent use of that functionality when porting to a new
machine.  It also makes my life much easier to just ask a user for a dmesg, and
have the descriptions right there.

Additionally, as a user, I like to see that stuff come across the screen when
booting.  I know instantly if something is not right.

I don't want to have to sit around all the time looking up numbers on a chart
while trying to figure out what is wrong with this or that device attachment.
I strongly object.  Pcictl is cute, assuming I can get to userland.

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/