Re: Power Management Framework architectural design

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:41:42 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> The question is what is responsible for providing
> values, e.g. whether to inherit them from the parent device (nice for
> MD hooks).

This is the question I was seeking to answer to you, configuration
through inheritance is not globally feasible. I'm not sure what values
you mean here, but platform specific configuration files could be used
to implement fully descriptive device profiles

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 09:44:50AM +0000, Juha Keski-Saari wrote:
> > Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > I believe it is necessary to have fully descriptive definitions for
> > each particular clock since they mainly just inherit frequency from
> > their parent and other properties are unique.
>
> That doesn't conflict with what I said -- adding another layer would
> allow MD code to do exactly that without changes all over the place.
>
> Joerg

Can you please elaborate on what is your proposed solution, so I can be
sure we're on the same page. My proposal is to leave PMF as it is, and
extend the device instance by configuration on relevant platforms, and
include agents for power and clock domain tracking. Clock domain agent
would include the functions of a clock framework to support the drivers.

Juha K-S