Re: some pmf improvements

dyoung%pobox.com@localhost said:
> Many NIC drivers activate/deactivate power by calling their bus
> front-ends through callbacks called, say, sc_enable/sc_disable. These
> days, we have PMF for controlling power, and I would like to replace
> the sc_enable/sc_disable calls with calls to pmf_device_resume/
> pmf_device_suspend.

I'd be careful here not to mix semantics too much.
pmf suspend/resume has the purpose to get the system
into suspend state which imposes well-defined requirements
(as eg D3hot/cold for PCI devices). It also doesn't
need to take care of user software using a device.
The opportunistic poweron/poweroff can/should be more flexible
in its choice of the power level, and it needs to
coordinate with device use by programs.
For me, this suggests seperate APIs. (which of course doesn't
mean disjunct implementations)

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt