Re: use of an intermediate device to handle USB interfaces

plunky%rya-online.net@localhost said:
> ubt0 at uhub0  - ubt(4) handles whole device

Yes - I've just speculated about why this is the case,
in my previous mail.

> udev0 at uhub0   - udev(4) handles generic device with multiple interfaces
> uhidev0 at udev0 - first interface is HID

Yes, exactly. To cite from my kernel log:
ucompound2 at uhub1 port 2: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/20.00,
add
r 4
uhidev2 at ucompound2 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev2: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/20.00, addr 4, iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev2: 3 buttons and Z dir.
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0

> (as you see, my suggestion is udev(4) rather than "ucompound" :)

I like that... I wan't sure whether what I called "ucompound"
should be used for single-interface devices, for non-technical
reasons, as I wrote in my first mail. If that doesn't get turned
down, "udev" would be the ideal name.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt