Re: use of an intermediate device to handle USB interfaces

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:43:08AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 12:39:45AM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> > > This is a device node, called "ucompound" for now, which attaches
> > > to a USB device if no driver wants to take it as a whole, and
> > > tries to attach drivers which only deal with individual interfaces.
> >
> > What kind of devices would benefit from attaching multiple drivers to
> > it?
>
> My laptop has a little camera gizmo at the top of the screen, which
> includes a microphone.  We don't have a driver for the camera, though
> something in pkgsrc will apparently drive it via ugen.  The uaudio
> driver works fine with the microphone part, but won't attach if ugen
> gets there first.

would it not be better to fix this by making ugen attach to the interface
rather than the device? (or replacing it with a ugenif that does) (or some
combination of the previous)

(I'm sure there are problems with that approach but I don't know what they
are)

iain