Re: Patch: accept filters for NetBSD

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:15:42AM +0100, Darren Reed wrote:
> Hmmm..
>
> Are you going to contribute (or suggest) changes to the FreeBSD
> code based on any changes we might make?

I can suggest.  I can't directly contribute -- no privs.  Can you?

I think we are going to put a lot of the FreeBSD-specific code back,
#ifdef __FreeBSD__, to make cross-polination easier.  It leaves the
file fairly dirty but it also provides a useful example of how they
rearranged a few bits of their stack for socket locking.  That will
make feeding changes back a bit simpler, anyway -- smaller diffs.

> For example, is it worth creating mbuf_string.c in kern/ and
> putting mbuf_str*cmp() in there?  I'm sure I can see there being
> a need for mbuf_strcase*cmp() if this is extended further...etc.
>
> Looking at soishttpconnected(), it would seem the algorithm used
> there could be better replaced with a call to a function to get
> the total data buffered and then doing copydata() with the offset
> being "n-3", etc.
>
> ...but none of this is worthwhile if it only lives in our tree.

We don't use the http filter directly at Coyote but these changes seem
worthwhile.  We'll play with it a bit and send another patch.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky